About Sowmya Reddy
Sowmya Reddy represents a new wave of Indian politics which is progressive, participative and accountable. With her strong roots in social work, she is deeply connected to the society and local politics. In over 15 years of her experience in grassroots activism, she has worked for providing employment and education, empowering women, protecting human rights, preserving the environment and advocating government policies.
Being the daughter of the former Home Minister, Sri. Ramalinga Reddy, who was also the MLA of Jayanagar constituency for four terms, she understands Jayanagar politics very well and has seen it evolve over the years. With such deep insight into politics and the constituency, she realises the issues of the people. She truly believes Jayanagar has the potential to become the most developed constituency of India and she is determined to make this a reality.
- Determined to transform Bengaluru by public policy, progressive laws and public participation.
- Organised a job fair in Jayanagar which was supported by Karnataka Government. It attracted over 130 companies and 11,150 job aspirants.
- Started ‘Elevate Life’, a program designed to provide employment, training and counselling for the youth of Jayanagar
- Conferred with the Aadarsh Yuva Vidhayak Samman, for Best Outstanding performance in Development work and promotion of Parliamentary democracy.
- Organised ‘Priyadarshini Mega Skill & Jobfair’ with an aim to support the cause of Women Empowerment in Jayanagar on 28th February 2019. It attracted over 7500 job aspirants.
- Ensured that plastic bags were banned in Bengaluru city corporation by working closely with BBMP officials, Resident Welfare Associations, elected representatives and citizens.
- Spearheaded several tree plantation drives in Bengaluru. One of the earliest was 16 years ago in Madhavan Park, Jayanagar with students, residents and local leaders.
- She has been a member of the Agara Lake protection and management society and also has formed “Bengaluru Water Warriors” to preserve the lakes of Bengaluru and promote rain water harvesting
- One of the youngest board members of the Animal Welfare Board of India
- Worked as an educator in Government and Private Schools bringing awareness about humane education, compassion towards animals, sustainability and environmental education through NiE (Newspaper in Education)
- Founder of Paradigm Shift, a vegetarian-vegan restaurant and an activist centre. It is a forum for public opinion and discussions in the true spirit of democracy.
- Her wedding was the biggest eco-wedding in India attended by over 20,000 guests. All the leftovers was segregated and composted which resulted in zero-waste.
- Conducted programs to ensure the government schemes such as pension and government loan programs reached the people.
- Actively involved in Indian National Congress party since childhood and currently MLA of Jayanagar and the General Secretary of All India Mahila Congress. She has held the office of Secretary of Karnataka Pradesh Mahila Congress Committee (KPMCC) in the past. Led youth and mahila congress workers in various programs like party membership drives, civic leader training programs and election campaigns.
Involved in the enforcement of animal protective legislation, supported progressive laws like Animal Welfare Act and worked closely with the animal husbandry department to set up a functional state board in Karnataka. One of the youngest board members of the Animal Welfare Board of India.
Sowmya has been associated with BPAC (Bangalore Political Action Committee) after participating in the BCLIP (Bangalore Civic Leadership Program). She has worked with schools, colleges and with communities, especially in BTM Layout and Jayanagar constituency, where she has conducted awareness programs with schools, colleges and communities regarding Environment, Women and Child safety.
Sowmya Reddy founded Paradigm Shift, an activist center and vegetarian-vegan restaurant in 2014. Through words, art, food, activism, education, and community, Paradigm Shift created a space that empowered various groups by hosting various talks, panel discussions, screenings, workshops on various social justice issues.
Congress Party Activities
Actively involved in Indian National Congress party since childhood and currently Vice President of Indian Youth Congress for Bengaluru district since May 2017. She has held the office of Secretary of Karnataka Pradesh Mahila Congress Committee (KPMCC) in the past. Led youth congress workers in various programs like party membership drives, civic leader training programs, election campaigns and spearheaded central government protests and rallies.